Senior Advisor (health financing / health systems), Human Development Department, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
Dr. Makoto Tobe has 20 years’ experience in global health. As a health systems and health financing specialist, currently he provides technical advisory to Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) on their assistance for Universal Health Coverage (UHC) especially in Asia, Africa and Latin America. From 2012 to 2015, he served as chief advisor of the health system strengthening project for maternal and child health services delivery in rural areas in the Philippines, which was conferred the good ODA practice award by the Philippine government in 2014 and the JICA president award in 2017. He received a doctorate degree in public health from the University of Tokyo for his study on national health insurance program in the Philippines, after having obtained a master’s degree in public health from Yale University.
- Gai R., & Tobe M. "Managing healthcare delivery system to fight the COVID-19 epidemic: experience in Japan," Global Health Research Policy, 5, 23. 2020.
- Daff BM, Diouf S, Diop ESM, Mano Y, Nakamura R, Tobe M, Sy MM, et al. “Reforms for financial protection schemes towards universal health coverage, Senegal,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 98(2),100-8, 2020.
- Nakamura H, Amimo F, Yi S, Tuot S, Yoshida T, Tobe M, et al. “Implementing a sustainable health insurance system in Cambodia: a study protocol for developing and validating an efficient household income-level assessment model for equitable premium collection,” Int J Equity Health, 19(1), 17, 2020.
- Takayoshi F, Yamaguchi S, Pangilinan AM, Tobe M, and Kanamori S., "Revisiting the Facility-Based Delivery Rate Formula in the Philippines for Better Local Health Governance and Services," Global Health: Science and Practice, 6(4), 754-757, doi: 10.9745/GHSP-D-18-00256. 2018.
- Tobe M. (ed.), “Good Practice Booklet – Reducing maternal and child mortality in the Cordillera,” Department of Health, Philippines and Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2015.
- Tobe M, Stickley A, del Rosario RB, and Shibuya K., “Out-of-pocket expenditure for inpatient care among beneficiaries of the National Health Insurance Program in the Philippines,” Health Policy and Planning, doi: 10.1093/heapol/czs092. 2012.
- Tobe M., “Catastrophic out-of-pocket expenses for inpatient care among beneficiaries of the National Health Insurance Program in the Philippines,” The University of Tokyo (Doctoral Thesis), 2012.
- Morikawa H. and Tobe M. “Long-term mental health and psychological care for the victims of violence: Project for strengthening integrated health care for the population affected by violence and human rights violations in the Republic of Peru,” The 8th Asia Pacific Conference on Disaster Medicine, 2006.
- Tobe M., “Roles of UNICEF Vientiane in HIV/AIDS prevention, care and support in Lao PDR,” Yale University School of Public Health, (Master Thesis), 2004.