HIAS Postdoctoral Researcher, Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study, Hitotsubashi University
Rashedul Islam is a Specially Appointed Research Associate at the Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced study (HIAS), Hitotsubashi University since April 2022. Mr. Islam received his bachelor’s and master's degree in Population Science (Demography) in 2009 and 2010, respectively from Rajshahi University, Bangladesh. He holds PhD in Global health in 2022 from the Department of Global Health Policy at the University of Tokyo, Japan. He also has work experience as a project researcher for Asia Cohort Consortium (ACC) at National Cancer Center, Japan since 2019. Before coming to Japan, Mr. Islam was a lecturer at Public Health at the First Capital University of Bangladesh. Apart from experiences working with academies, Mr. Islam specializes in topics of health financing, equity in health, maternal and child health, epidemiology and systematic review and meta-analysis in public health. Much of his current work relates to the development and implementation of innovative approaches to public health.
- Lee S, Jang J, Abe SK, Rahman S, Saito E, Islam MR, et al. Association between body mass index and oesophageal cancer mortality: a pooled analysis of prospective cohort studies with >800 000 individuals in the Asia Cohort Consortium. Int J Epidemiol. Mar 2022.
- Rahman MM, Taniguchi H, Nsashiyi RS, Islam MR, Mahmud SR, Rahman MS, Jung J, Khan S. Trend and projection of skilled birth attendants and institutional delivery coverage for adolescents in 54 low-and middle-income countries, 2000-2030. BMC Medicine; 2022.
- Rahman MM, Islam MR, Rahman MS, Hossain F, Alam A, Rahman MO, Jung J, Akter S. Forgone healthcare and financial burden due to out-of-pocket payments in Bangladesh: a multilevel analysis. Health Econ Rev. 2022 Jan 10;12(1):5.
- Shin A, Cho S, Jang D, Abe SK, Saito E, Rahman MS, Islam MR, et al. Body Mass Index and Thyroid Cancer Risk: A Pooled Analysis of Half a Million Men and Women in the Asia Cohort Consortium. Thyroid. 2022 Jan 11.
- Shin S, Lee JE, Loftfield E, Shu XO, Abe SK, Rahman MS, Saito E, Islam MR, et al. Coffee and tea consumption and mortality from all causes, cardiovascular disease and cancer: a pooled analysis of prospective studies from the Asia Cohort Consortium. Int J Epidemiol. 2021 Sep 1:dyab161.
- Taniguchi H, Rahman MM, Swe KT, Islam MR, Rahman MS, Parsell N, Hussain A, Shibuya K, Hashizume M. Equity and determinants in universal health coverage indicators in Iraq, 2000-2030: a national and subnational study. Int J Equity Health. 2021 Aug 30;20(1):196.
- Anik AI, Islam MR, Rahman MS. Do women's empowerment and socioeconomic status predict the adequacy of antenatal care? A cross-sectional study in five South Asian countries. BMJ Open. 2021 Jun 3;11(6):e043940.
- Rahman MO, Sassa M, Parvin N, Islam MR, Yajima A, Ota E. Diagnostic test accuracy for detecting Schistosoma japonicum and S. mekongi in humans: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2021 Mar 17;15(3):e0009244.
- Yang JJ, Yu D, Shu XO, Wen W, Rahman S, Islam MR et al. Reduction in total and major cause-specific mortality from tobacco smoking cessation: a pooled analysis of 16 population-based cohort studies in Asia. Int J Epidemiol. 2021 Feb 5.
- Chowdhury MRK, Khan MMH, Khan HTA, Rahman MS, Islam MR, Islam MM, Billah B. Prevalence and risk factors of childhood anemia in Nepal: A multilevel analysis. PLoS One. 2020 Oct 6;15(10):e0239409.
- Islam MR, Rahman MS, Rahman MM, Nomura S, de Silva A, Lanerolle P, Jung J, Rahman MM. Reducing childhood malnutrition in Bangladesh: the importance of addressing socio-economic inequalities. Public Health Nutr. 2020 Jan;23(1):72-82.
- Rahman MM, Zhang C, Swe KT, Rahman MS, Islam MR, Kamrujjaman M, Sultana P, Hassan MZ, Alam MS, Rahman MM. Disease-specific out-of-pocket healthcare expenditure in urban Bangladesh: A Bayesian analysis. PLoS One. 2020 Jan 14;15(1):e0227565.
- Jung J, Rahman MM, Rahman MS, Swe KT, Islam MR, Rahman MO, Akter S. Effects of hemoglobin levels during pregnancy on adverse maternal and infant outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2019 Aug;1450(1):69-82.
- Islam MR, Rahman MS, Islam Z, Nurs CZ, Sultana P, Rahman MM. Inequalities in financial risk protection in Bangladesh: an assessment of universal health coverage. Int J Equity Health. 2017 Apr 4;16(1):59.