Assistant Professor (Specially Appointed),Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study, Hitotsubashi University
Mizanur Rahman is a specially appointed Assistant Professor in the Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Study. He received his Bachelor and Master's degree in Population Science in 2004 and 2005, respectively, from the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. He received a PhD in Global Health in 2013 from the department of Global Health Policy, the University of Tokyo, Japan. Before joining at the Hitotsubashi University in 2021, he worked as an Assistant Professor at the University of Tokyo and Associate Professor at the University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. Apart from his experiences of working with academies, Mr. Rahman has regularly collaborated with national and international researchers from the University of Tokyo, World Health Organization, St Luke International University, and Global Public Health Research Foundation in Bangladesh. His specialized knowledge in topics of universal health coverage (UHC), SDG-related health indicators, health financing and policy evaluation, equity in health, maternal and child health, and systematic review and meta-analysis in global health, has resulted in several publications in prestigious peer-reviewed journals including The Lancet, JAMA, Bulletin of the World Health Organization, Diabetes Care, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Obesity Reviews, and Ann New York Acad Sci. Much of his current work relates to the development and implementation of innovative approaches to public health, maternal and child health, healthcare financial risk management, and policy development.
List of selected publication [Peer-reviewed]:
- Sabera S, Rahman MM, Sigel B, Hashizume M. Association of lifestyle risk factors with overweight or obesity among adolescents: a muticountry analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2021; 113(3): 742-750.
- Taniguchi H, Rahman MM, Alam A, Swe KT, Hashizume M. Trends and projections of universal health coverage indicators in Iraq, 2000-2030: A national and subnational study. Soc Sci Med. 2021 Feb; 270: 113630.
- Rauniyar SK, Rahman MM, Rahman MS, Abe SK, Nomura S, Kenji S. Inequalities and risk factors analysis in prevalence and management of hypertension in India and Nepal: a national and subnational study. BMC Public Health, 2020; 20: 1341.
- Ali M, Azmat SK, Hamza, Rahman MM, Hameed W. Assessing effectiveness of multipurpose voucher scheme to enhance contraceptive choices, equity, and child immunization coverage. Results of an interventional study from Pakistan. J of Multidiscip Healthc, 2020; 13:1061-74.
- Leung CY, Huang H, Rahman MM, Nomura S, Abe SK, Saito E, Shibuya K. Cancer incidence attributable to tuberculosis in 2015: global, regional, and national estimates. BMC Cancer, 2020; 20(1): 412
- Rahman MM, Zhang C, Swe KT, Rahman MS, Islam MR, Sultana, P, Rahman MM. Disease-specific out-of-pocket healthcare expenditure in urban Bangladesh: a Bayesian analysis. PLoS One, 2020; 15(1): e0227565.
- Zhang C, Rahman MS, Rahman MM, Yawson AE, Shibuya K. Trend and projection of universal health coverage in Ghana, 1995-2030: A national and subnational study. PLoS One, 2019; 14(5): e0209126
- Islam MR, Rahman MS, Rahman MM,Nomura, S, Silva AD, Lanerolle P, Jung J, Rahman MM. Reducing childhood malnutrition in Bangladesh; the importance of addressing socio economic inequalities. Public Health Nutrition, 2019; 23(1): 72-82
- Jung J*, Rahman MM*, Rahman MS, Swe KT, Islam MR, Rahman MO, Akter S. Effects of maternal haemoglobin levels on mother and child health: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann NY Acad Sci, 2019: 69-82. [*joint first author]
- Ali M, Azmat SK, Hamza, Rahman MM, Hameed W. Are family planning vouchers effective in increasing use, improving equity and reaching the underserved? An evaluation of voucher program in Pakistan. BMC Health Serv Res. 2019, 19(1): 200
- Fahim SM, Bhuayan TA, Hassan MZ, Abid Zafr AH, Begum F, Rahman MM, Alam S. Financing health care in Bangladesh: Policy responses and challenges towards achieving universal health coverage. Int J Health Plan Manage. 2019; 34(1):e11-e20
- Rahman SM, Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Abe SK, Shibuya K. Trends in, and projections of, indicators of universal health coverage in Bangladesh, 1995–2030: a Bayesian analysis of population-based household data. Lancet Glob Health, 2018, 6(1): e84-e94
- Han SM, Rahman MM, Rahman SM, Swe KT, Palmer M, Shibuya K. Progress towards universal health coverage in Myanmar: a national and subnational assessment. Lancet Glob Health, 2018, 6(9): e989-e997.
- Swe KT, Rahman MM, Rahman MS, Saito E, Abe SK, Gilmour S, Shibuya K. Cost and economic burden of illness over 15 years in Nepal: A comparative analysis. PLoS ONE. 2018; 13(4): E0194564.
- Sultana P, Rahman MT, Roy DC, Akter S, Jung J, Rahman MM, et al. (2018) Tobacco control policies to promote awareness and smoke- free environments in residence and workplace to reduce passive tobacco smoking in Bangladesh and its correlates. PLoS ONE 13(6): e0198942.
- Haruyama R, Gilmour S, Ota E, Abe SK, Rahman MM, Nomura S, Miyasaka N, Shibuya K. Causes and risk factors for singleton stillbirth in Japan: analysis of a nationwide perinatal database, 2013-2014. Sci Rep. 2018; 8(1): 4117.
- Rahman MM, Parsons A, Rahman MS, Karan A, Abe SK, Bilano, Awan R, Gilmour S, Shibuya K. Progress towards universal health coverage: a comparative analysis in five South Asian countries. JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177(9): 1297-1305.
- Nomura S, Sakamoto H, Gleen S, Tsugawa Y, Abe SK, Rahman MM, Brown JC, Ezoe et al. Population health and regional variations of disease burden in Japan, 1990–2015: a systematic subnational analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015. The Lancet 2017; 390: 1521-1538.I
- Khan MN, Zhang C, Islam MM, Islam MR, Rahman MM. Household air pollution from cooking and risk of adverse health and birth outcomes in Bangladesh: a nationwide population-based study. Environ Health. 2017. 16:57.
- Islam MR, Rahman MS, Islam Z, Zhang C, Sultana P, Rahman MM. Inequalities in financial risk protection in Bangladesh: an assessment of universal health coverage. Int J Equity Health. 2017; 16(1):59
- Khan MN, Rahman MM, Shariff AA, Rahman MM, Rahman MS, Rahman MA. Maternal undernutrition and excessive body weight and risk of birth and health outcomes. Arch Public Health. 2017; 75(1):12.
- Rahman MM, Akter S, Jung J, Rahman MS, Sultana P. Trend, projection, and appropriate body mass index cut-off point for diabetes and hypertension in Bangladesh. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017; 126:43-53
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Abe SK et al. Maternal anaemia and risk of adverse birth and health outcomes: systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016; 103(2): 495-504
- Rahman MM, Rahman MM, Tareque MI, Ferdos J, Jesmin SS. Maternal Pregnancy Intention and Professional Antenatal Care Utilization in Bangladesh: A Nationwide Population-Based Survey. PLoS ONE. 2016; 11(6): e0157760
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Abe SK et al. Maternal body mass index and risk of birth and maternal health outcomes in low-and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obes Rev. 2015; 16(9): 758-70
- Rahman MS, Akter S, Abe SK, Islam MR, Mondal MNI, Rahman JAMS Rahman MM. Awareness, treatment, and control of diabetes in Bangladesh: a nationwide population-based study. PLoS One. 2015;10(2): e0118365
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Akter S, Abe SK, Saito E, Shibuya K. Prevalence and control of hypertension in Bangladesh: a multilevel analysis of a nationwide population-based survey. J Hypertens. 2015; 33(3):465-72
- Rahman MM. Health in Bangladesh: lessons and challenges. Lancet. 2014. 383:1037.
- Akter S, Rahman MM, Abe SK, Sultana S. Prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes and their risk factors among Bangladeshi adults: a nationwide survey. Bull World Health Organ. 2014. 92:204-213A
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S. Prevention and control of hypertension in different countries. JAMA. 2014; 311(4): 418-419
- Saito E, Gilmour S, Rahman MM, Gautam GS, Shrestha PK, Shibuya K. Catastrophic household expenditure on health in Nepal: a cross-sectional survey. Bull World Health Organ. 2014; 92(10):760-7
- Akter S, Rahman MM, Abe SK, Sultana P. Nationwide survey of prevalence and risk factors for diabetes and prediabetes in Bangladeshi adults. Diabetes Care. 2014;37(1): e9-e10
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Saito E, Sultana P, Shibuya K. Health-related financial catastrophe, inequality and chronic illness in Bangladesh. PLoS One. 2013 8(2): e56873.
- Rahman MM, Gilmour S, Saito E, Sultana P, Shibuya K. Self-reported illness and healthcare payment coping strategies in Bangladesh. Bull World Health Organ. 2013;91: 449–458
- Sakamoto H, Rahman MM, Nomura S, Shibuya K. Japan Health System Review. Vol.8 No. 1. New Delhi: World Health Organization, Regional Office for South-East Asia, 2018.